Monday, September 28, 2009

Hats Off To Knitty!


After the hot summer months, it's cooling off, and knitting season has begun! As I mentioned in my last post, I finished a bolero I had started late last winter and put away for the spring and summer in order to work on warmer-weather projects. Finishing a project always sparks the motivation to start another one (or two...), so, after promising my boyfriend a winter hat to match the scarf I made him last year, I thought it'd be a quick and easy way to launch the knitting season.

After finally finishing the lace pattern on the bolero, I wanted to do something embarrassingly easy. So I browsed around the sites, and, as it often happens, found myself on knitty.com. And there it was, the perfect hat in all its stylish simplicity: Tychus. The short rows made for fun and fast-paced knitting, and I enjoyed the idea of knitting a hat vertically. Something different and yet, when finished, so simple. Thank you Knitty!
Oops! And then I found another one I just had to make for myself... Couvercle. So off I went on a little knitting frenzy.

I finished my boyfriend's hat in about a week, but with several days off. The pattern suggested size 9 needles in acrylic, but I used size 8 with a medium weight 100% wool. My boyfriend doesn't complain about itchiness, and it makes for a warm, thick, winter cover-up for his bald head. I was pretty happy with the results. And, luckily, so was he!

As for Couvercle, I started it yesterday and I'm already working on the crown. I was wondering how mendoukusai (troublesome in Japanese) the double moss would be, but, in actuality, it's knitting up way faster than I thought it would. It's actually been quite a treat! I should be able to finish it today or tomorrow, and will post the pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment